Tuesday, January 13, 2009

tarrice and brandon check out the "Birth of Cool"





Brandon Parker invited me to The Studio Museum in Harlem to check out the Birth of Cool exhibit. This was my first chance to start doing somethings that are fun . I useta go to museums with my boy Arick Elion at home all the time.



The Birth of Cool exhibit was a retrospective of the paintings of Barkley L. Hendricks. He is best know for his life-sized paintings of black folks in the 60's and 70's and his self-portraits. He also included Jamaican landscape paintings and a set of painted shoes. This exhibit made me feel like i was looking thru my family photo album and 70's fashion magazines. It was very inspiring. Me and Brandon both agreed that every stylist should see this exhibit.


this was my favorite painting intitled "Sweet Thang"



I was getting flashbacks of Good Times, Sanford and Son, The Jefferson and What's Happening. Most of all I was taken back to episodes of the popular sitcom Julia starring Diahann Carroll. I had to go home and watch her and James Earl Jones in "Claudine"


Afterwards we took our hungry asses to Sylvia's, a popular soul food restaurant in Harlem. I had eaten there once before and hated it, but I decided to give it a second chance especially since Brandon loves that shit. Well I was disappointed once again. New York hype at its finest. My BBQ ribs were salty and the sauce tasted like cheap hotsauce poured over my ribs. The mac and cheese was dry and my garlic potatoes were light on the garlic....very light ( i made my mind think i tasted the garlic). The worse part is that our food was waaay over priced. I hate ny hype....it just keeps leaving me missing home. As long as I get to experience Brandon's momma's mac and cheese when she comes up for a visit- it more than makes up for the wack food in NYC.

1 comment:

  1. Awww Tarrice, I hope that the new year brings you much reward for all the hard work you have sewn into your career.

    NB

    ReplyDelete