Monday, January 2, 2017

ONE MAN SHOW - RAELIA LEWIS: Trust Your Journey

model: Raelia Lewis - @raelialewis
(Base - South Africa *** Mp Mega-Miami)
ph. Tarrice Love - @bytarricelove
styling: Tarrice Love


Many people may recognize Raelia from the hit TV show “America’s Next Top Model” that premiered in 2014. A finalist during Cycle 21, Raelia stole the hearts of many as she fought her hardest to win the competition. She was instantly memorable  for me because she was hella sexy and handled every situation in a laid back manner.




Raelia Lewis from tarrice love on Vimeo.


After the show, Raelia went on to open shows for New York Fashion week, Miami swim week, and LA style week. She has worked internationally in South Africa and South Korea. Raelia starred in two commercials and she is featured in over 10 publications worldwide. 


I reached out to Raelia through instagram. I wasn't expecting a response but she hit me back right away. I've worked with ANTM contestants before but it was always through a third party connection , Usually when I hit up people from that show directly, they respond in a dismissive manner. Raelia was the first (and only) person from that show that worked with me directly.

model: Raelia Lewis - @raelialewis
(Base - South Africa *** Mp Mega-Miami)
ph. Tarrice Love - @bytarricelove
styling: Tarrice Love


Raelia arrived (on time) and open to any idea I had. She's tall as hell and her body is a-maz-ing, reminiscent  of the supermodels of the 80's and 90's. After looking through her portfolio, I decided to do images that referenced 80's looks from Janet Jackson and my favorite style icon Lisa Bonet. I wanted to do images that felt more "New York" than the swimwear stuff that dominated her book.





I was also inspired by this wonderful dress by my favorite designer ,Azzedine Alaia. All the supermodels love Alaia, so my supermodel for the day had to have a "Alaia-ques" moment. I did a quick sketck and took yards of black fabric and draped it into a dress that looked similar.


I also created a headdress similar to the one Diana Ross wore in the movie Mahogany. Mahogomy is one of many movie I love referencing when I shoot women.

model: Raelia Lewis - @raelialewis
(Base - South Africa *** Mp Mega-Miami)
ph. Tarrice Love - @bytarricelove
styling: Tarrice Love



Raelia has released her first book entitled Thrust Your Journey: Tools For Making Your Dreams Come True. It tales her ups and downs about making it in the fashion industry. she hoops her story can help inspire and motivate others  to pursue their dreams. 












1 comment:

  1. Great story! I love your resilience and it paid off with this story! I believe that you meant to write reminiscent instead of remind.

    ReplyDelete